Gundersen Heath System saved $1,600 per case by:
• Reducing Average Length of Stay: 1 day
• Increasing Physical Therapy on Day of Surgery to: 2/3 patients
• Reducing Usage of Skilled Nursing Facilities: 22%
Already a cost-conscious, top performing organization and highly-rated by U.S. News & World Report, Gundersen Health System needed more advanced analytics to further its improvement efforts. Leaders sought a tool to help identify and support unseen opportunities for improvement across the care continuum in cardiology and cardiac surgery, neurosurgery, and orthopedics divisions.
Avant-garde Health’s performance improvement analytics for both inpatient and post-acute care in orthopedics revealed several opportunities. According to benchmarks, personnel costs could be reduced with shorter lengths of stay (LOS) and to achieve more timely discharges, leaders focused on increasing physical therapy (PT) on day of surgery. Also, to reduce post-acute care costs, leaders reduced spending on skilled nursing facilities (SNF).
Driven by these goals, Gundersen Health incorporated new protocols to make sure all stakeholders were better aligned. The action plan included:
- Systematically sharing analytics with team members at all levels on a regular basis.
- A multi-disciplinary team across the care continuum collaborates to optimize care pathways and increase standardization.
- Requiring patient and caregiver education 2-4 weeks prior and advance communication of discharge plan.
$1,600K Cost Savings Per Case Across the Continuum of Care